The Residence Director is responsible for creating an environment where student learning and skill development is facilitated through best practice models for housing & residence life. The Residence Director assists in serving as an administrative resource to students, parents, family members, faculty, staff, campus administration, and alumni/alumnae. This position has a student development focus and requires exemplary ability to manage multiple projects, communicate effectively to supervisors and staff, and work in complex environments.
This position implements the vision of the University through Housing /Residence Life.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee all residential facilities openings and closings, room selection/room assignments, services, safety and security, and associated documentation.
- Serve as the representative for the Housing and Office of Residence Life for college committees, as requested and appointed.
- Review, research, and evaluate, as necessary, all aspects of the Residence Life program to ensure optimum understanding of the student/staff needs, concerns, attitudes, etc., and will develop, with appropriate staff assistance, policies, programs, and procedures designed to meet those needs.
- Oversee the room, furniture, and key inventory system.
- Manage department budgets and identify grants and fundraising opportunities.
- Develop and provide training to professional staff members regarding policies, procedures, and proactive and response practices.
- Assume responsibility for the selection, training, supervision, evaluation and assignment of the student Residence Hall Directors and Community Assistants.
- Implement and Manage Residence Hall Representation on Student Government Association.
- Manage 24-hour Front Desk Staff coverage and training for each residence hall.
- Update and publish Residence Hall Policies and Procedures.
- Serve in the on-call rotation.
- Oversee weekly Safety and Wellness Process
- Manage Level One Residential Student Behavioral Issues.
- Maintain student files and records.
- Manage Residence Life Staff, Henderson Hall Resident Director, Front Desk Staff Buildings, Off-Campus Housing Resident Directors and Campus Life Coordinator.
- Promote academic excellence in and outside the classroom, and promote the college mission and Wilberforce Renaissance.
- Participate in professional development and associations.
- Generally be available to staff and students at irregular hours and respond to crisis and emergencies.
- Assume responsibility for coordinating crisis response actions for residence life (i.e. campus emergencies, suicide, deaths, injuries, etc.).
- Partner with departments, including the Division of Student Engagement and Success, to advance departmental functions, programs, and events, and to advance the College purpose and mission.
- Assume responsibility to advance and develop additional programs and duties, necessary for the implementation of Student Engagement and Success and institutional strategic priorities.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Residence Director – Henderson Hall position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org